Making Cheese with Nettle
If you keep your eyes open, you can see that nettle grows wild everywhere .In pavement cracks, abandoned yards..Just look for toothed leaves,hairy stem and if you want to test touch it and it will sting you! I hate that feeling. But it’s a very useful herb and you can make cheese with it.Here’s how it’s made:
A bunch of nettles
1 teaspoon salt
2 liters milk
- Put enough water so the nettles are all submerged, add 1 teaspoon of salt and boil for 15-20 minutes.Strain the liquid.
- Warm the milk a little bit (so that when you dip your little finger you can hold it for 10 seconds in it).
- Pour in 1 cup of nettle juice and stir. If the weather is cold, wrap the pot with blankets and leave it in a warm spot for 1 night.
- In the morning it will have a consistency of yoghurt. Heat it up a little bit and stir, wait for an hour.
- Put a cheesecloth on a colander and strain it. Make sure that there is no water left.
The cheese has a bit of nettle taste in it which gives it a nice aroma.